Friday, July 23, 2010

Learning Everyday


Today’s events at the hospital were minimal. Time passed by slow, and patients were being discharged. Days like these get frustrating as a volunteer because I feel useless and in the way. But it seems on the slow days I learn the most. I was only at the hospital for 3 hours today, but appreciated my time there. An infant came in with a possible urinary tract infection and learned the process to retrieve a sterile urine sample from the infant. Using a catheter, the sample was taken from the fussy and restless baby. Because the infant was a female, the sample was a little more difficult to get. As I watched the nurse perform this procedure, she walked through the process for me. Just watching this made me feel better about the day knowing I learned something very useful for the future.
I tried to sign up for my last prerequisite class today and the nutrition class I needed was full. I’ve worked so hard to get where I need to be, and now I find out I’m pushed back. I always feel like I’m taking two steps, but really it’s three steps back! I guess my other options are to try and push my way into the class or find another online class. I just don’t have time to waste to fight for this class. But it’s something I just have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment