Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lent

Last week the wind orchestra played for the Wednesday chapel service for Lent. I usually don't go to chapel because I overuse the excuse, "I never have time." But this time, I'm very glad I was there. Every year for Lent, I eliminate something from my daily routine (usually a food item). Whether it be gum, chocolate, cookies or cheese (which was the hardest one to give up) I feel almost there is a respect factor to be shown. This year I have chosen to eliminate eating after 8 pm. In the past couple months, I have found myself to be an habitual midnight snacker, so it was a perfect thing to give up.
The sermon for the Lent chapel service really reminded me why take my time to give something up. Even though I struggle with not being able to snack after 8, it really does remind me of the great sacrifice of Jesus Christ. If I struggle with my task, I can only imagine what a painful process He went through. I know God doesn't ask or require us to "give up" anything, because His suffering and forgiveness is free that comes from unconditional love, but I really do enjoy putting aside these 40 days and completely present them to God. So far, the task has been difficult, as it should be, but I'm still going strong!
35 days until Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment